Sunday, December 28, 2008

Xooro

Xooro (its pronounced Sure-Oh) was introduced to me by my DailyCandy email guide to Los Angeles. Gourmet Churros?!? I had to check this out.

Growing up in Southern California, my mom made this frozen churros as after school treats actually my Hispanic nanny did (Hey, I grew up in Southern California!). Rosa would heat them up and then roll them in sugar and cinnamon. They were delicious and light and perfect for a cup of coffee or hot chocolate.

These churros are completely different: covered in chocolate and filled with a variety of fillings, I wouldn't describe them as light. My friend and I ordered three churros to try: Hazelnut, Mango and Tortoise.

The Hazelnut was sweet. The filling didn't taste very much like hazelnut and the chocolate covering the churro was milk chocolate and too sweet for my dark chocolate loving tooth.

My personal favorite was the mango. I would never order mango on my own, tending more towards the chocolate desserts than fruit flavored. But it was sweet and light and more like a churro than the other ones. The outside was covered in delicious yogurt sprinkles. The filling might be better if it was more fruit and less filling. Then I could believe that I was eating something healthy.


The tortoise was a more classic reminder of the dulce de leche filled churros I've had at Mr. Churro. Covered in milk chocolate and walnuts or pecans, the out side was sweet but with a bite and the inside was...dulce de leche. I couldn't finish it and I'm not one to turn down something for being too sweet.

I might go there again especially if I want to show someone a new treat in Santa Monica. But for my churros craving, I would rather go to Mr. Churro's.

Xooro
125 Broadway
Santa Monica, CA 90401
(310) 260-2919

Hours:
Tue-Thu. 12:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Fri-Sat. 12:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Sun. 12:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

No comments: